Every year, I swear to myself that I’m going to complete my top-list-determination-process before the end of December. Oh, brother. At least I beat my 2012-self by a week or two.
SO HERE THEY ARE. My favorite songs of 2013. You can listen to my top 30 below, or listen to the whole top 100 on Spotify. There are a couple of No-Spo (a term I’ve just coined for songs that cannot be found on Spotify) tracks that you won’t be able to play unless they’re on your computer and named identically to the files on mine… but most of them can be played anywhere there is Spotify.
I also want to clarify that, this year, I am extremely lazy, perhaps even lazier than what is typically expected of me. In case this is the first list of mine you’ve checked out, it should be made clear that I’ve basically given up on writing about music professionally, and these lists and the time I take to compile them has become an almost purely selfish endeavor. So I’m going to include very little journalism for you to skim over here, and you can cut straight to what you really came here for – the subjective opinions of an unaccomplished music enthusiast.
1. Haim – The Wire[youtube http://youtu.be/1TffpkE2GU4]
Best new Fleetwood Mac song in decades. Not about HBO’s The Wire, which for me was disappointing – but clearly I got over it. There’s something about these sisters’ refusal to sing along any sort of predictable cadence that is really refreshing. Dance like your parents to this one – you won’t regret it.
Also, this video does not come close to expressing the cheerful exuberance that I feel when dancing to this song by myself. I blame the douchebag from Girls.
2. Mount Kimbie ft King Krule – You Took Your Time[youtube http://youtu.be/aVBH1qIqe7Y]
Ugh. This song. It paralyzes me. Impeccably produced. I’m such a sucker for the dissonant synths. HAIM had to really wrestle the top spot away from this one.
3. Lorde – Royals[youtube http://youtu.be/LFasFq4GJYM]
Song of the year, this one. Sorry, Lorde, you’re now pop royalty AND a hypocrite.
4. Braids – Hossak[youtube http://youtu.be/8Ffe8rkza5o]
I’m gonna steal my review from Youtube commenter ShadowXg0z: “I don’t know, but this is probably one of the best songs for my ears.”
Raphaelle Standell-Preston also has a really delightful way of singing the words “pizza” and “tum-tum”.
5. Toro Y Moi – Grown Up Calls[youtube http://youtu.be/fmZyYStX8OE]
la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
6. Still Corners – Berlin Lovers[youtube http://youtu.be/hCD9g1pH6BA]
Synth line is super addictive. Great video, too. If I had to make a “Songs My Girlfriend Puts On In the Morning to Motivate Me Out Of Bed While She Gets Dressed of 2013” playlist, this would definitely be on it. Reminds me a lot of Rex The Dog’s “I Can See You Can You See Me?”
7. Kanye West – Blood On The Leaves[youtube http://youtu.be/FKNy6gdtVrE]
(Insert Obligatory-praise-of-Kanye’s-brilliance-in-mashing-up-Nina-Simone-and-TNGHT-samples here)
Seriously, though, this man is a genius. He’s a fucking idiot and a sociopath, but he’s also a genius. I don’t understand what motivates this guy to continue making ground-breaking game-changing music, I just hope he never stops.
8. Charli XCX – What I Like[youtube http://youtu.be/DsqNvy9v93s]
9. Haerts – Wings[youtube http://youtu.be/yk52XHSpmF4]
Fleetwood Mac are gonna come back next year and capitalize on all this shit, right?
10. Autre Ne Veut – Play By Play[youtube http://youtu.be/j9uE46sMugw]
Pretty bummed I missed this dude’s set at Pitchfork.
This song is some kind of schiznophrenic genius.
11. The Strokes – One Way Trigger[youtube http://youtu.be/itY62ToB5SE]
I don’t think anyone loved this song or this album as much as me this year, and I’m really not sure why. Maybe it’s because I was never the biggest Strokes fan back in the day, so my expectations weren’t too loaded.
12. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – So Good At Being In Trouble[youtube http://youtu.be/PERf5un2nC0]
Unknown Mortal Orchestra are So Good At Performing Live, in case you didn’t know.
13. FIDLAR – Cheap Beer[youtube http://youtu.be/BB8z08_8uhM]
New life anthem. This song makes me lightheaded.
I. DRINK. CHEAP. BEER. SO. WHAT. FUCK. YOU.
14. Katy Perry – Roar[youtube http://youtu.be/CevxZvSJLk8]
Ugh, what is this, the new Katy Perry? Oh my God, she is just the fucking worst, all of her songs are just so vapid, her videos are so stupid, I hate her voice, she is so artificial and just everything that is wrong with pop music and I’VE GOT THE EYE OF THE TIGER! THE FIGHTER! DANCING THROUGH THE FIRE! CAUSE I AM A CHAMPION! AND YOU’RE GONNA HEAR ME ROOOOOOARohmygodwhereamI?
15. James Blake – To The Last[youtube http://youtu.be/h0ak3Eq469E]
James Blake is too damn talented for his own good.
16. Action Bronson – No Time[youtube http://youtu.be/SC2paCQNMXY]
Old school beat. Beautiful. Magnifique. Nobody has as much fun rapping in 2013 as Action Bronson. This fat bastard fits TWO “Mutombo finger” rhymes into one song. I’m also quite partial to the rhyme, “Hear em clappin’ like the end of the huddle, I might be big as a bear but nothin’ to cuddle.”
17. Bent Shapes – Behead Yrself, Pt. 2[youtube http://youtu.be/JJGeWaV9wMQ]
If only every song on the Bent Shapes new album sounded like this. Frustrating when that happens. Emo nostalgia pts.
18. Disclosure – Second Chance[youtube http://youtu.be/pkr14ue5miA]
I basically played this album to death. “Second Chance” proved to have maybe the most replay value (editor’s note: I ranked “Latch” last year). Heartbreaking little groove. Definitely a deep cut on the album. For your headphones, not the dance floor.
19. Chance The Rapper ft BJ The Chicago Kid, Lili K., Kiara Lanier – Good Ass Intro[youtube http://youtu.be/jjmiLp47Yg8]
Crazy for this guy. More Chicago in this track than any other off of 2013’s Acid Rap. Killer beat drops. PLEASE SAY THE RAPPER.
20. John Wizards – Iyongwe[youtube http://youtu.be/5o70cKsKjw8]
Infectious guitar lick. This song is cool. I like it. You should listen to it. The end.
21. Born Ruffians – Ocean’s Deep[youtube http://youtu.be/xsxYX_TU6Nw]
Sick bassline. I love these guys. (Look how lazy I’m getting)
22. Jessie Ware – Sweet Talk[youtube http://youtu.be/Y9IsJ2MYKQI]
I was gonna write “Boner Jamz 2013” about this song, until I noticed the little children starring in the video and got uncomfortable. Oh, wait, look, I wrote it anyway.
23. Gauntlet Hair – Human Nature[youtube http://youtu.be/O7sWfM9SMcI]
So bummed these guys broke up.
24. Baauer – Harlem Shake[youtube http://youtu.be/Bk1_DbbzSdY]
I loved the meme, but it was kind of disappointing when everyone got tired of it since the actual song and the particular subsection of trap music that it inhabits are my fucking jam.
25. DJ Rashad – Let It Go[youtube http://youtu.be/3oilMfQY4og]
Rashad put out too much music this year, hard to pick a favorite song… I guess this is mine.
26. A$AP Ferg ft Waka Flocka Flame – Murda Something[youtube http://youtu.be/VhCnYVuQW4Y]
It took me a while to warm to A$AP Ferg. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Spotify only has the “Clean” version of his album, which totally breaks up the flow. He might share half of his moniker with a “Mob” of others, but this guy is one of the most original MCs in the game today.
27. Candy Claws – White Seal (Shell & Spine)[youtube http://youtu.be/dkC4tdYW5jg]
28. Sleigh Bells – Young Legends[youtube http://youtu.be/LZi7-1v4m-0]
Biggest hit off of 2013’s Bitter Rivals, in my opinion, and it isn’t close.
29. Rich Homie Quan – Type of Way[youtube http://youtu.be/-KKbdErJkiY]
One of the greatest rapper names of all time. Manages to name drop Sade repeatedly while maintaining gangster status.
30. Janelle Monae – Can’t Live Without Your Love[youtube http://youtu.be/fv9kbS_N1lY]
If Monae made a whole album as unpretentious as this song, it might be my favorite album of the year.
31. FKA twigs – How’s That
32. M.I.A. – Y.A.L.A.
33. Earl Sweatshirt ft. Tyler, The Creator – Whoa
34. Tennis – Mean Streets
35. Drake – Come Thru (James Blake Version)
36. Diana – That Feeling
37. Sally Shapiro – Sundown
38. Slava – How You Get That
39. Salva – Hard Drive
40. Vampire Weekend – Diane Young
41. Kevin Gates – Paper Chasers
42. Wavves – Demon To Lean On
43. Schoolboy Q & Kendrick Lamar – Collard Greens
44. Birdy Nam Nam – Defiant Order (UZ Remix)
45. Action Bronson & Party Supplies – It’s Me
46. Gucci Mane ft. Rich Homie Quan & Young Thug – Chasen Paper
47. Justin Timberlake – Strawberry Bubblegum (the last three minutes)
48. Guchon – Tennoz
49. Chain And The Gang – Heavy Breathing
50. Jackson Scott – Sandy
51. Queens of the Stone Age – My God Is The Sun
52. DJ Rashad ft. DJ Spinn – Let U No
53. Pusha T – King Push
54. Zeds Dead x Major Lazer ft. Elephant Man – Turn Around
55. Isaiah Rashad ft. Jay Rock & Schoolboy Q – Shot You Down (Remix)
56. A$AP Rocky – Long Live A$AP
57. CHVRCHES – Lungs
58. T-Pain – She Said
59. Ciara – Body Party
60. Denzel Curry – Parents
61. French Montana ft. Nicki Minaj – Freaks
62. Shannon and The Clams – Ozma
63. Bad Rabbits – Can’t Fool Me
64. Daft Punk – The Game of Love
65. Ace Hood ft. Wiz Khalifa, T.I., Meek Mill, French Montana, 2 Chainz, Future, DJ Khaled, Birdman – Bugatti
66. Upset – About Me
67. R. Kelly ft. Ludacris – Legs Shakin’
68. Kelly Rowland – Stand In Front Of Me
69. What So Not ft. Action Bronson, D Mac & Blood Diamonds – Every Time You See Me (The Quack)
70. Pretty & Nice – New Czar
71. Lady Gaga ft. R. Kelly – Do What U Want
72. Night Beats – At the Gates
73. Cults – High Road
74. Kate Boy – The Way We Are
75. DJ Rashad ft. Freshmoon – Everybody
76. Cher Lloyd ft. T.I. – I Wish
77. Nick Thayer & DJ Yoda – Da Wheel Klamp
78. The Moondoggies – Red Eye
79. Mapei – Don’t Wait
80. Le1f ft. Haleek Maul – Tha Whip
81. The Foreign Exchange ft. Shana Tucker, Eric Roberson – Better
82. Kyary Pamyu Pamyu – Furisodeshon
83. Sleepies – Waste Water
84. Jacco Gardner – Help Me Out
85. B.o.B. ft. 2 Chainz – HeadBand
86. Foxygen – Oh Yeah
87. Dillon Francis ft. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Without You
88. Soulja Boy – Ridin Round
89. Super Wild Horses – Fifteen
90. Bibio – You
91. Just Blaze & Baauer ft. Jay-Z – Higher
92. Alex Bleeker & The Freaks – Home I Love
93. Of Montreal – Triumph of Disintegration
94. Bloc Party – Ratchet
95. Studio Killers – All Men Are Pigs
96. Splashh – All Washed Up
97. Casey Veggies – Young Winners
98. Vybz Kartel – Pussy Me Say
99. No Joy – Hare Tarot Lies
100. Buku – All Deez